Can one be free from pleasure?

@Inquiry
After going through pain constantly I got a kind of detachment towards things I do and encounter in my daily life.

Can I say this as freeing from pleasure? or am I missing something.:slight_smile:

What does ā€œfreeing from pleasureā€ mean? As Iā€™ve said, pleasure and pain are sensations, the meaning and significance of which is determined by thought, Until you realize this, you are not free at all.

@Inquiry

You are saying that defining the consequences and significance of those sensations will not free the mind from those sensations.

Is that what you are saying?

What will free the mind from sensations then?

The mind isnā€™t enslaved by sensations, but by the meaning and significance it gives to them. The mind is enslaved by its beliefs, assumptions, conclusions; by what it doesnā€™t question or examine. Such a mind presumes to know more than it actually does because it is insecure, desperate. A reasonable mind questions everything it supposedly knows.

1 Like

One thing is for sure ,one is attached to pleasure. So one has to start with what is which is attachment to pleasure.
Physical pleasure of eating an apple does not lead to pain but psychological pleasure of of being somebody important which comes through comparison leads to pain because it is an illusion. I think that is clear.