Authority and revolt in intelligence

Insight is perceiving what is actual, for a change, but you’re saying that insight doesn’t actually change the way the brain operates henceforth, because the change is superficial and temporary.

How would you know you’ve had an insight if it hasn’t irrevocably changed the way you think and behave? How do you know you’re not mistaken?

1 Like

Insight doesn’t necessarily have to be about the process of self, suffering, and the authority of experience.
But thats what we are concerrned with here on kinfonet.

When you have an insight into your hockey game (you are a hockey player in this example) you suddenly realise something very obvious and factual but which was completely hidden to you before that insight - your muscle memory, or habitual beliefs about the game that have been hammered into you through years of training may still crop up when you’re inattentive - but awareness now has the power to kill the old errors immediately whenever it arises. (and will tend to do so - this power of awareness is a transformation that has happened in the brain)

1 Like

This is a strange way of describing the difference between being aware of what serves my purpose and being aware of everything. Why associate awareness with power and killing?

If am more aware these days than I was when preoccupied with goals, strategy, etc., it’s because actuality is more interesting and illuminating than the pursuit of something.

Then it can’t be an insight.

An insight is an awakening to something actual the brain had never realized the significance of. It’s a fundamental change in the brain’s structure. It can’t be denied, glossed over or forgotten because, like muscle memory, it’s structural…at least for as long as the brain is not deteriorating.

Yes that is what an insight is.

It changes the way the brain operates.

Yes as in the game of hockey :goal_net: :ice_hockey:

The thought is there questioning its reality, and suddenly there is an insight into that reality, and as the thought was the one questioning, it thinks that insight has been seen by it, so it adds the “experience” to its memory, with the consequent usual treatment…

It is then that thought begins to realize that it is not he who has seen it but something else that has always been there speaking to him, but that it is now that he really hears it for the first time.

p.s.: of course, once the relationship is established, thought can either begin to fight itself through that duality, or it can start to keep silent and listen without any resistance to what the insight has to tell it (whatever that is).

2 Likes

Hockey of course is a tiny tiny minute, practically undetectable part of experience as a whole, and takes up not much space at all in the brain (even in a serious player) - so any change in the brain is minute.

However suppose one was to have an insight into experience itself, which is a huge part of the brain’s function, then we can start to speak of transformation of the brain.

Insight and awareness are a 2 pronged movement - awareness without insight into the self-centered human experience, is just recognition (ie.memory immediately takes over).
For awareness to be able to instantly transform anger/sadness/eagerness etc into openess, some obvious facts about the process of suffering must be clearly seen.

Desire, the thought to be somewhere other than I am right now. That this present isn’t satisfactory to hold my attention. This desire of becoming, when one IS in the present seems to be behind psychological suffering. To look for fulfillment elsewhere than the only place that ‘exists’, here! The only place ‘silence’ could be found. The only place….period!

Also there are nearly 8 billion directly contradictory desires happening right now in all the human brains. And apparently, what I know and want is in complete control of my actions. Please forgive me If I steal your TV, or eat your dog, or tell you that you are wrong.

The conditioned brain cannot be silent , cannot be empty. Insight reveals a bit what silence and emptiness is. It is a ‘blessing’ or ‘grace’ that could illuminate the brains of those tv thieves and dog eaters but highly unlikely unfortunately.

Those precious moments of clarity, intelligence, show you what you are not.

Yes, this is irrefutable. But the conditioned brain is continuously telling itself what is and what is not, the brain can only live this way until it doesn’t need to.